Sunday, December 8, 2013

GAO Intern - Washington, D.C. & other locations


http://www.gao.gov/careers/student.html


From current GAO Employees: 

When mentioning the intern position to your students who will be returning to grad school after the internship (likely the current first years), I would probably emphasize that there are many more intern positions available at our HQ in Washington, DC than in the field offices.  Our field offices are generally posting 2 vacancies each (with the exception of Atlanta and Boston which have 3).  However, I think they can put multiple locations as their preference.  Here at headquarters, they have MANY vacancies listed.  If an intern application indicates that they are interested or willing to work in DC their chances are probably significantly better.  Maybe it’s a given that most of your students who would be considering applying here might actually want to work here but I just thought I’d point that out.


Also, the internship listing closes on Monday, December 16th at 11:59 pm EASTERN TIME.  Please emphasize that they must have the complete application submitted by 9:59 pm mountain time if they are to be considered.  If they are even one minute late, the application will not be reviewed.

I just took a look at the preview questions.  It appears that you can only select one location to apply to.  Therefore, I would strongly recommend DC.  The chances are probably higher.  Then again, there may not be quite as many applications for the other locations but with only 2 or 3 spots available in each of the field offices the ratio of applicants to available spots might be more competitive, therefore, I don’t know that I would take my chances.  Just my two cents.

From Tanya: 

The GAO internships are now posted.  This is a great relief from the GAO internship drought of the past four or five years.  

I strongly encourage you to take time to apply soon, as I know they review resumes on an ongoing basis and not just when the posting closes.  Below you will see advice and information shared by two alumni, which may prove to be helpful, as you prepare to apply.

Again, please don’t put off applying.  I realize you are very busy right now, but please make time to manage your internship/careers just a little.  The Lord can only bless you if you apply.   :)

I am happy to help.  Feel free to make an appointment to chat about your applications or resumes for this and/or other internships.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment